LocAle is a Campaign that seeks to promote locally brewed real ales and the local pubs that sell them. As well as providing a much-needed boost to the local economy, LocAle has an environmental side as it seeks to reduce "beer miles" travelled between brewery and pub.
Since our formation in 1976, our branch has always supported and promoted our local breweries and real ale pubs. In the more recent past:
- In June 2001, the Solway Branch AGM agreed an Action Plan that included a general goal, "promoting real ale: to help and promote breweries and pubs that sell good quality real ale". This still remains one of our goals.
- In February 2006, our 30th Anniversary Beer Festival, sponsored by "Distinctly Cumbrian", was a showcase for Cumbrian real ales.
- In April 2009, we launched our LocAle campaign. At the launch, 25 local pubs were awarded our accreditation; further pubs have been added since.
Our LocAle accreditation criteria include:
- at least one local real ale must be available at all times;
- the real ale(s) must be kept in good condition; and
- the distance between pub and brewery must be no more than 30 miles by the shortest route.
The branch has recently reviewed our LocAle pub list and an updated list is given below.
LocAle accredited pubs for 2015: Alston - Cumberland Inn; Caldbeck - Oddfellows; Carlisle - Boardroom; Eaten by Monsters; Hell Below; Kings Head; Linton Holme; William Rufus, Lloyds; Woodrow Wilson; Calthwaite - Globe Castle Carrock - Duke of Cumberland; Clickham - Clickham Inn; Cummersdale - Spinners - Brewpub Cumwhitton - Pheasant; Curthwaite - Royal Oak; Glasson - Highland Laddie; Great Corby - Queens Great Salkeld - Highland Drove Hallbankgate - Belted Will; Hesket Newmarket - The Old Crown; Ireby - Lion Lanercost - Sports Club Langwathby - Shepherds Longtown - Graham Arms Low Hesket - Rose & Crown; Nenthead - Nent House Country Hotel Newbiggin - Bluebell; Oulton - Bird in Hand Ousby - Fox; Penrith - Agricultural; Cross Keys, Carleton;Moo Bar;Royal Hotel Penruddock - The Herdwick; Penton - Bridge Inn; Silloth - Albion; Golf Hotel; Talkin - Blacksmiths; Uldale - The Snooty Fox; Wetheral - The Wheatsheaf; Wreay - The Plough.